Monday's Recipe Idea - Sizzling Spare Ribs - 23/07/12
I think summer my finally be here - so in celebration this week's recipe idea has to be a bbq option, matched up with a beach location as that's where everyone should be on a day like this. Hope this fills you with some culinary inspiration and you can embrace the great outdoors while the sun is shining.
Sizzling Spare Ribs - With BBQ Sauce
- 4 x 500g packs pork spare ribs
- 1 bunch of spring onions roughly chopped (green stems and all)
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp Appleton rum
- 6 tbsp demerara sugar
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp clear honey
- 6 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Tip the ribs into a big bowl (not a metal one) and throw in the spring onions, chilli and garlic. Now spoon all the remaining ingredients over the ribs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Get your hands in the bowl and turn the ribs over and over again until they're coated in the sauce. (You can keep the ribs uncooked - tightly covered - in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them for several months.)
- Cook the ribs over a moderate barbecue for 20-30 minutes depending on their size, turning them over frequently and brushing with sauce each time. The turning and brushing is important, so that all four sides of each rib get encrusted with the sauce, which builds up like a lacquer. If you have any leftover sauce at the end, heat it up in a pan and pour it over the ribs just before serving.